Saturday, September 11, 2010

Coaching Philosophy

I had to write my coaching philosophy to the hockey board of directors so they could vote on allowing me to coach a travel hockey team.  A quick hockey background:  I've been playing for 27 years, coaching for 7, and reffing for 2.  I knew in the back of my head exactly what to write, but it seemed like I was missing something after I read it.  I handed a copy to each of my assistant coaches and asked them for their opinion.  Please note that when you're dealing with any board of directors, politics is key. (I was once a board member for three years, so I kind of know the system)  The three assistant coaches actually had written down quite a bit of information that I either added or deleted to my document. Some of the information was just a few stories or incidents that they had dealt with in their own lives.  By incorporating their input, I was able to fill the gap that I was missing. The verdict in the end, I was successful.

4 comments:

  1. I can relate to going in front of the state boards to take my cosmetology exam. My instructors tested me and I knew the importance of earning my license. Once I completed it and received my official copy in the mail, i knew too, it was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter what type of paper you are writing, it is always a good idea to have a fresh pair of eyes look at it. This is a good way to catch errors that you might not have noticed otherwise. Every person writes a little differently, so accumulating other peoples' ideas can help you to write the best paper possible. Luckily for you, the peer reviews helped you to achieve your final goal :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. It's impressive that you've been involved in hockey for so many years. I think peer revision/editing is one of the most useful tools a writer can have. Everyone brings different styles and experiences to the table so combining them often makes the project far more effective than it would have otherwise been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that it is a very good idea to have a couple other people read over your paper, it really helps to get their opinions, and see anything you might have left out. :)

    ReplyDelete